8/10/12

Altered Canvas

This is today's project at Scrapbookpal. Working with canvas allows you so many opportunities to create something very different that you can use as a showpiece. I had no plan in mind when working with this canvas, so I dug out all things "Tim" - stamps, paper, inks and masks- and went to work.


I began by using the Inking Tool and inked the canvas with Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey, Antique Linen and Broken China, being sure to rub the tool into the canvas with a rotating motion to avoid stroke marks. Once I had the effect I wanted, I ran my fingers under the faucet and shook my fingers over the canvas.  I continued adding drops of water until I saw the water pooling on the canvas, then I put the canvas aside to dry.


Using Perfect Pearls, I inked some ribbon with Mixed Media Adhesive then attached it to the bottom of the canvas with Glossy Accents. I added a silver charm to the right corner.


I used assorted masking elements, appling the masks to three areas of the canvas and inking over the masks with Walnut Ink. The design was revealed once I removed the masks. I then added several strips of tissue tape to the right side of the canvas. The translucent tapes allow the colors on the canvas to show through.


I stamped the Umbrella Man with Walnut Ink on white cardstock. After cutting it out, I covered it with Glossy Accents. I put this piece aside to dry while I worked on the rest of the canvas.

I stamped a strip of birds in the upper left section of the canvas with Walnut Ink. Because I was stamping on canvas, the image itself was not be complete (see bird #4), but that is absolutely fine! I tore a piece of pattern paper, crumpled it and thoroughly wet it.  Once it has dried, I gently pulled it back to form, leaving it somewhat wrinkled, then inked over the paper with Walnut Ink so that the ink just touched the wrinkled areas. Using the mini misters, I then spritzed the paper again with water just until the ink started to run. Allow the paper to dry and then ink the edges with Antique Linen Linen and Wild Honey. Add this piece to canvas wth Glossy Accents.

I then stamped several images with Walnut Ink on white cardstock and cut them out.  Using the inking tool, I inked each with Antique Linen and Wild Honey, and then matted them with brown cardstock.  To keep them close, I stapled them together and then added them to the canvas with foam adhesives for dimension. I then placed the Umbrella Man between the two images with foam adhesives.

Using Wild Honey, I dragged the ink pad directly along the edges of the canvas for a bright, distressed effect. For a more subtle effect, I could have used the inking tool.

FYI, I pulled out the pink ribbon when I completed this project as it really didn't coordinate with the ultimate colors I chose for this project.

Supplies:
Canvas
Pattern paper, Inks, Masks, Charms: Tim Holtz
Stamps: Stampendous
Adhesive: Glossy Accents

1 comment: