2/24/19

Believe Altered Bottle with Makin's Clay

Hi everyone, I'm on the Makin's Clay blog with a new mixed media project.

When I think of mixed media projects, my thoughts turn to canvas and wood because they are definitely fun bases to work with.  But have you ever thought of using a bottle as the base of your project?

 
Supplies:
Makin's ProfessionalⓇ Cutting Mat
Makin'sⓇ Clay Texture Sheets - Set A, Floral A
​Beacon  Adhesive 


Starting with a base of clay, the possibilities are endless.  You can use any size or style of bottle for this project, just let your imagination flow.   Simply adjust the amount of clay needed for the bottle you are using.  I used a 4.2 oz package for my 16 oz bottle.


Condition the clay by rolling it on the craft mat, stretching the clay as you roll it.


Starting at the bottom of the jar, place the clay on the bottle and force it around the bottle with your fingers.  I found one 4.2 oz packet was enough for my bottle, but if you desire a thicker layer, a portion of a 2nd package will be required.  Where the edges meet, push the clay together.  While still damp, Makin's Clay does not need adhesive to seal.


Continue forcing the clay around the bottle until the bottle is completely covered.  You will have finger prints in the clay, but that only adds to the final overall effect!



Using several texture sheets add designs randomly around the bottle.  Since the clay is still soft, simply wrap the texture sheets around the bottle and rub on the texture sheet alternating pressure with your fingers.  Using the different pressures allows for lighter and deeper impressions in the clay.   I used Texture Sheet Set A and Texture Sheet Floral A.


I let the bottle dry 24 hours before continuing, but you can continue as you see fit.  I actually taught this project recently and, since time was limited, my students painted the bottle right away and they turned out wonderful.



Using assorted Prima Art Alchemy acrylic paints, add the colors randomly - don't be precise - the idea is to play around, mixing colors and textures. 


I also used Prima art Alchemy Metallique wax to add additional color  The wax really added some amazing color on the black clay.


I glued some mesh  randomly around the bottom of the jar for some additional dimension (after first painting it with black gesso).  While the glue was still wet, I added some Prima Art Stones.


 Finally, I selected an assortment of embellishments from my stash and added them to the bottle.  Some I glued in place and some were allowed to hang free.
 
 
I hope you give this a try.  It's a great way to use empty bottle and all kinds and types of embellishments in your stash.
 
 
Thanks for stopping by.

Steph




2 comments: